Introduce yourself and your project
David Heinemeier Hansson
2004-12-14 13:37:19 UTC
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions? That would also be a great first post, if you haven't
had a chance to contribute yet. The basics should include your name,
your organization, your country and city, and the project you're
currently working on.

I'll start:

David Heinemeier Hansson,
Working with 37signals
Live in Copenhagen, Denmark, but are working with people in Chicago, US
Basecamp and the forthcoming Writeboard

Who's next?
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/ -- Web-based Project Management
Scott Barron
2004-12-14 13:45:36 UTC
It's either reply to this or do work. I guess you can figure which I'm
doing :)

Scott Barron
Doing rails stuff for Ohio University
Live in Athens, Ohio
Public projects:
Elite Journal
Recipe Box

As far as work related projects at OU go, I've got applications that
handle things as simple as a student employee schedule, to an app that
creates and maintains a schedule of movies for the university's movie
channel, to an app that maintains and handles billing for the dining
hall, and a few more along those lines. All future projects here will
be developed in rails and several of our PHP projects have been ported
to rails.

-Scott
Johan Sörensen
2004-12-14 13:53:44 UTC
Guess I'll jump on too!

Johan Sörensen
Currently a freelancer/consultant
Living in the south of sweden at the moment, currently looking for
work that'd allow me to use Rails (of course ;)) in one way or
another.

On the subject of public personal Rails projects I have Collaboa,
which is a communitywikiforumthingie I've created for the swedish mac
dev site http://cocoa.se. There is a Trac install available at
http://collaboa.cocoa.se/trac if anyone wants to have a peek...

--johan
Post by Scott Barron
It's either reply to this or do work. I guess you can figure which I'm
doing :)
Scott Barron
Doing rails stuff for Ohio University
Live in Athens, Ohio
Elite Journal
Recipe Box
As far as work related projects at OU go, I've got applications that
handle things as simple as a student employee schedule, to an app that
creates and maintains a schedule of movies for the university's movie
channel, to an app that maintains and handles billing for the dining
hall, and a few more along those lines. All future projects here will
be developed in rails and several of our PHP projects have been ported
to rails.
-Scott
Johan Sørensen
Professional Futurist
www.johansorensen.com
Pelle Braendgaard
2004-12-14 13:53:03 UTC
Pelle Brændgaard
Working independently on a range of crypto and financial applications.
Live permanently in Panama City, Panama but am temporarily in
Copenhagen, Denmark.

Working on a "topsecret" project using Rails and a range of opensource
java code.
--
http://talk.org + Live and direct from Panama
http://neuclear.com + The World Wide Web of Assets
Demetrius Nunes
2004-12-14 14:57:02 UTC
Ok, my turn:

Demetrius Arraes Nunes
Working on my masters degree in PUC-RJ, Brazil
I also work on my own e-learning start-up company: Interface Ltd
(http://www.interface-ti.com.br) (we use .NET there, for now... ;-) )
I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
My masters degree is about a web modeling technique called OOHDM (Object
Oriented Hypermedia Design Method) that was "invented" by my professor,
Daniel Schwabe (Phd-UCLA), some 10 years ago, that adds a distinct
"navigational modeling" step in the development cycle. In this step, you
map conceptual objects to navigational objects, define navigational
contexts, indexes, links, anchors and other navigational primitives. I
am developing a application that is the same time the modeling
environment (using OOHDM) and the resulting application itself in a kind
o wiki-like mode where you can edit not only the data, but also the
model (and metamodel).
The last (and HUGE) step in my project is to port the MySql
implementation to a RDF database called Sesame, and that means porting
ActiveRecord from relational to semantic/rdf. God (and please, David!)
help me... :-O My deadline is februrary 28th. I am already done with 80%
of the relational version.

This description got a bit too long huh? Sorry guys, I got excited. ;-)
Cya.
Chris McGrath
2004-12-14 14:00:12 UTC
Chris McGrath
Currently freelance contractor based in Dublin, Ireland working on VB
and ASP Stuff (urgh)
Looking to find work in Rails, or convice my current place to convert
some of thier apps to Rails.
Working on a personal finance style application as a means of learning
Rails and getting rid of GnuCash.
I'm hoping to contribute something to the project in the new year,
even if it's just a couple of minor bugfixes :)

Chris

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:37:19 +0100, David Heinemeier Hansson
Peter Johansson
2004-12-14 14:11:42 UTC
Peter Johansson
Working as consultant for a large Fortune 500 company
Live and work in Stockholm, Sweden

Just beginning to learn Rails (and Ruby) on my spare time and have
planned to convert a couple of PHP-based apps to Rails. Previously
I've worked most with PHP, Perl and Java.

Dale K. Hawkins
2004-12-14 14:27:22 UTC
Dale Hawkins
Denver (Littleton), Colorado, US

I have written a couple utilities (a worklog/billing application), and
I am working on porting a large, ugly php application used by
government agents (no kidding). The backend DB is sybase (oh, joy!
:-( ), so I've been working on a sybase adapter whenever I get around
to it. (But I have another job and kids, so progress is very slow
much of the time).

I've been meaning to start a software project management tool using
rails. Along the lines of trac but with some scheduling, resource
tracking, and support for story card/use case design.

-Dale

This is my sig. Isn't it cool....
Marcel Molina Jr.
2004-12-14 14:38:55 UTC
Marcel Molina Jr.
"Doing rails stuff for" Simon's Rock College, a small liberal arts college in
the wilds of Massachusetts that accepts "gifted" students into college two
years earlier than usual
I live in The Berkshires, South Western Massachusetts

Currently working on an online admissions application, errr, application
so that prospective students can apply to the college online. Also writing
an application to register student/faculty/staff machines on the network.
Planning on porting all (or most) existing web applications to Rails.
Moving toward doing pretty much *everything* here with Rails (if web
related) or Ruby if not, when appropriate (which is most of the time).

noradio on the #rubyonrails channel, much to david's distress.

Please don't hesitate to come over to the irc channel or post questions
here. I'm constantly motivated by the great people involved with
Rails. The whole project shines despite me.

marcel
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel-WRrfy3IlpWYdnm+***@public.gmane.org>
Jarkko Laine
2004-12-14 14:54:27 UTC
Jarkko Laine
Student, athlete and entrepreneur
Graduating from Tampere University of Technology (hopefully) next year
Running my own company, O'Design
Live and prosper in Tampere, Finland (that's next to Nokia, people)
Working on my first commercial Rails project at the moment (a simple
CMS)
As a personal project I'm developing a Basecamp for athlete groups and
trainers, including training diary etc...
jarkko (surprise?) at #rubyonrails

--
Jarkko Laine
http://jlaine.net
Austin Moody
2004-12-14 16:22:07 UTC
Austin Moody
MedAlliance Management Group - a small physician consulting firm in
Johnson City, Tennessee.
Completely rewritten our old electronic health claims manager in
Rails/Ruby from PHP/Python. Also created a custom intranet portal
manager and a few other small specialized apps.
austinetsu on #rubyonrails
Steve Kellock
2004-12-14 15:31:10 UTC
Hello, my name is Steve Kellock and I'm a Rails junkie.
what-a-day on IRC #rubyonrails
Indy Developer
Barrie (just north of Toronto), Canada

- Completed a sales application for a client.
- Currently working on a
sports-team-management-extranet-type-of-app-thingy (it'd be a lot
clearer with screen shots).
- Have a few projects lined up for 2005... guess what I'm going to
write them with? (hint: it's not DOS batch files)

kevin evans
2004-12-14 16:14:52 UTC
Kevin Evans, University of Glamorgan, Wales, UK

Currently working on a Rails based blogging application for the
(http://www.glam.ac.uk) University. Very close to going live, just
struggling with fcgi stability :-(

regards
Kevin Evans
IS Development Manager
currently working on.
Tanner Burson
2004-12-14 16:19:25 UTC
Tanner Burson
Live in the great state of Oklahoma in the US.

Learning rails in my spare time, for my own personal projects at the
moment. Currently writing a multi-user task list of sorts. Hoping to
eventually find a client willing to take the plunge as well

Rick Bradley
2004-12-14 16:23:22 UTC
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions? That would also be a great first post, if you haven't
had a chance to contribute yet. The basics should include your name,
your organization, your country and city, and the project you're
currently working on.
I'm Rick Bradley, working as 1 of 4 people (2 developers - the other
developer is also on this list) at Base Systems (www.basesys.com) here
in Nashville, TN. We're deploying a few new products for the medical
industry (Asterisk-based voice recording systems, handheld applications,
etc.) and will be converting our medical workflow system (currently
serving transcription providers) from PHP to Ruby and Rails over the
next few months.

Since our company is so small we're heavy into magnifying our
productivity. We've looked at (best estimate) close to 100 different
frameworks in multiple languages over the past year and only Rails
appears to actually reduce the amount of work we have to do.

I'm also gradually converting my various personal toys over to using
Rails as well -- I started with the DemoApp accountomatic which is
working very well for me since porting it over to Rails. Next is
probably my jukebox system (rdtj.sourceforge.net), which looks like it
will end up being Ruby+Madeleine+RGL+FreeBASE+Rails.

Thanks,
Rick
--
http://www.rickbradley.com MUPRN: 564
| and slammed ti into
random email haiku | my keyboard when I went to
Sean Leach
2004-12-14 16:33:17 UTC
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions? That would also be a great first post, if you haven't
had a chance to contribute yet. The basics should include your name,
your organization, your country and city, and the project you're
currently working on.
Sean Leach
Ventura, CA
irc: kicker

Working on several personal projects with rails. RSS feed aggregator,
stat management application as well a small ecommerce app, probably
won't finish any of them :)

I do 99% of my work in Python when I can, and will continue to do so,
but Rails is by far the best web framework I have used (and I guarantee
I have used/built apps with pretty much all of them from the PHP ones to
the Java ones etc.). To be honest, I wish there was a Python on Rails
like has been discussed. Ruby is a fine language, but I know Python in
and out and prefer it over Ruby (please do not begin a language war).
Sascha Ebach
2004-12-14 16:25:09 UTC
- Sascha Ebach
- Entrepeneur
- Living in Troisdorf Germany, which is right in between of Cologne and
Bonn.
- MCMS which stands for Magical Content Management Solution
MCMS will a try to make a cms that ppl want to actually use, but
nevertheless will have a lot of functionality. It will be magical and it
will be open source.

ROADMAP
=======
* Unique concentration on usability, web standards and accessibility
* Contentrepository as a tree, so you will be able easily extend the
functionality of a corporate website to a blog with comments, a forum, a
shop, a whatever. Something along the lines of ezpublish and drupal.
* Versioning
* WYSIWYG editing (with FCKEditor, which I find amazing)
* different views and the administration, so new users and powerusers
can feel at home
* Maybe even edit-in-place, like you can see in Bitflux CMS, or LIMB.
But I am uncertain about that as I think edit in place is not always the
most generally applicable solution, esp. if you wanna have a cms which
handles
* multiple diffrent websites under one adminstration
* media repository
* make it possible to turn it in a hostable solution (this one will
probably by closed source)
* lots of other things

Current progress is 10%. As I am working on this alone, have a business
to run (where I can not always program in ruby) and my family to care
about, progress is not going to be very fast. Hopefully it will be
something usable within the next 6-12 months. If luck strikes me and if
what they say about rails is true, than it might be earlier ;)

As soon as I have something usable I will create an enironment where
collaboration is possible. If you wanna help, please wait a little while
until I get my act together. Which (I feel sometimes) could never happen
;) I will announce it on this list.
Sascha Ebach
Jarkko Laine
2004-12-14 17:07:42 UTC
Hallo Sascha,

Read your post and just couldn't help replying. For others, sorry for
the off-topic post, but I feel this might be interesting to you as
well.

Here's an article by Jeff Veen that every CMS vendor should take into
their heart: http://www.veen.com/jeff/archives/000622.html

I'm in a process of selecting an open source CMS for a site at the
moment, and here's a few things that have struck me *a lot*:
- pretty url's: many cms vendors announce them but they're mostly
lying. In most php systems they are either artificial structures built
on top of the actual content, or quasi-pretty, like
"site.com/node/23453" instead of
"site.com/products/razors/philishave-8080". The pretty-url phenomenon
has been motivated mostly via search engine friendliness but I think
it's mostly a human factor. People remember, link to and generally like
better pages that have an understandable url. For your system this
should be a piece of cake, given the amazing flexibility of rails url
handling.
- Hierarchical organization of things. Thank god, you mention this in
your post :) For a site of decent size, it just doesn't cut it that you
have a "flat nodespace" even if you can then write aliases to those
nodes or even if you can build an external "category topology" for the
content (pointing at you, Drupal, here). After a short look at
ezpublish, I find it does a pretty decent job at this (like it does at
i18n).
- Which brings us to the multi-lingual content. Please take this into
account already in the planning phase as it can be a royal PITA to be
added later.
- Make sure it's easy to install even on a shared service like
TextDrive. So that it doesn't require a major amount of root-only
configuration like Midgard. This might be in a controversy with
"multiple different websites under one adminstration" — I'd prefer the
easy installation over the latter any day. Heck, make it easy to
install in general and you'd be good.

Overall, your proposal looks very promising and interesting. Please
keep us informed, I'm at least very eager to help with your project.

Cheers,
Jarkko
Post by Sascha Ebach
[...]
;)
http://jlaine.net
Marten Veldthuis
2004-12-14 16:28:20 UTC
Name: Marten Veldthuis
What: Computer Sciences student in his third year,
Where: Lives in a little town called Hoogezand, next to
Groningen, in The Netherlands.

Work:
- Currently working on Epilog, a Rails-based weblog system. Recently
joined TextDrive Developer Staff from that perspective.
--> www.epilogit.com
- Freelance webdesigner (oh, and looking for work *hint hint*)
--
Marten Veldthuis
http://www.epilogit.com -- User-friendly weblogging
http://www.standardbehaviour.com -- Elegance is an indicator for quality
Colomain
2004-12-14 16:39:27 UTC
Jose Maria Martinez,
working for SPOC,
Live in Barcelona, Spain

Currenly I'm learning rails in my spare time, for my own personal
projects. At work, I use Java and Lotus Notes (yes, you've read well
;-( )
I'm trying to improve my english and also I'm trying to convince my
boss for doing things with Rails ;-), so I've started a inventory app

Jim Weirich
2004-12-14 16:43:41 UTC
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions?
Jim Weirich
Consultant for Compuware,
Currently working on-site at a LARGE financial company
Java programmer by day, Ruby programmer by night (and some day too!)
Rails Projects:
* Storycards -- XP like planning tool
* Misc prototypes
Non-Rails Ruby Projects
* Rake -- Ruby's version of Make
* RubyGems -- Packaging software
--
-- Jim Weirich jim-Fxty1mrVU9GlFc2d6oM/***@public.gmane.org http://onestepback.org
Lee Marlow
2004-12-14 17:07:54 UTC
Lee Marlow
IRC: mecraw
Denver (Highlands Ranch), CO, USA

So far I'm just a Ruby/Rails voyeur. I became interested when Dave Thomas mentioned Ruby at a Java conference. I hope to do some
personal projects in Rails, maybe my wedding site. Hopefully Rails makes web development easy enough for a backend Java developer.

Jason Hoffman
2004-12-14 17:14:08 UTC
Hi everyone,

Jason Alexander Hoffman
PhD scientist at the Novartis Institute for Functional Genomic
Master configurer behind TextDrive
Live in La Jolla California, and am lucky to work with people who are
everywhere

NIFG is all perl, java, python (in that order) and some ruby (me) but
no Rails (yet?)
My personal pet project is a bioinformatics web app in Rails.
And I dream at night of a end-user hosting "control panel" in Rails.

- - Jason
Bob Sidebotham
2004-12-14 18:57:42 UTC
I am: Bob Sidebotham
Vancouver, Canada

After spending 30 years writing software in various guises (anyone
remember punched cards and paper tape?), I had pretty much burned out.
I spent the last several years looking for another vocation. I've had
some minor successes, such as an exhibit of hand-processed b&w
photographs--which I've since webified at
http://windsong.bc.ca/alonetogether). Recently, however, I discovered
Ruby, and my interest in software was re-kindled.

Several years ago, I wrote the software for managing a small home
delivery business that provides organic produce and groceries. I'm
currently considering rewriting that now ancient system in Rails. It
has to deal with the whole gamut of processes, including inventory
management, supplier ordering, customer relations, customer ordering,
warehouse operations, delivery routing, accounting, billing, and
others.

Ruby and Rails look like they will provide a good foundation for
creating a maintainable--maybe even elegant--system for this business.

Bob
Sam Stephenson
2004-12-14 18:04:44 UTC
I'm Sam Stephenson; 20 years old, unemployed, on leave from Virginia
Polytechnic Institute, and currently living in Chicago, IL, US. A
recent evaluation has demonstrated that I'm not really good at
anything, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying Rails.

I live for Ruby, I'm a huge fan of domain-specific languages, and I
get really excited by introspection and all the stuff that comes with
it. I like to build small things out of even smaller things.

I have a tendency to create projects and leave them unmaintained. As a
subscriber to the Rails list, ou may have encountered two of those:
Prick[1], an IRC quote application written in Rails, and Paginator
Helper[2]. If you use Gtk+, there's also my Gtk::MDI[3] library, which
suffers the same fate.

I contribute trivial patches to Rails when I can.

My current project is Timber, a Rails application for Web magazines.
It lets authors and editors collaborate on articles and makes it easy
to lay out content. It's similar to Textpattern[4] but significantly
simpler. I'm also playing around with an interactive Web-based
debugger for Rails which adds a live irb console to your error pages
with XMLHttpRequest.

You can almost always find me on #rubyonrails as sam-.

Cheers!

[1] http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/DemoApps
[2] http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/PaginatorHelper
[3] http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?MDI
[4] http://www.textpattern.com/
Joe Van Dyk
2004-12-14 18:37:02 UTC
I'm Joe Van Dyk. I've been playing around with Ruby for about six
months, and Rails about a month. Neat stuff.

My "real job" is working for the Integrated Defense Systems division
of Boeing. My recent project there has been using Ruby for a GUI to
view and control simulations. As far as I know, I'm the only person
at Boeing to use Ruby for anything, but hopefully that will change!

I'm also developing a real estate site using Rails. Can't wait until
0.9 comes out.

Michael Koziarski
2004-12-14 19:06:07 UTC
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:37:19 +0100, David Heinemeier Hansson
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions? That would also be a great first post, if you haven't
had a chance to contribute yet. The basics should include your name,
your organization, your country and city, and the project you're
currently working on.
Michael Koziarski
Live in Wellington New Zealand.
Working for a Bank, Java by day ruby by night.
No public rails projects yet, but something's in the works.

--
Cheers

Koz
Samuel Kvarnbrink
2004-12-14 19:05:26 UTC
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions?
Sure, great initiative! Fun to see what everyone else is doing :)

Samuel Kvarnbrink
Lives in Umeå, Sweden. Working part-time as a system administrator at
the university of Umeå, otherwise a freelance developer.

Freelance: Working with the Umeå Krio Corpus, which is a Rails app
that's used for managing and analyzing texts written in the Krio
language for a research project. Krio, which is an Anglo-African Creole
language spoken in various parts of West Africa, uses some phonetic
characters for extra vowels and therefore the entire collection (which
is HUGE and growing!) is encoded using UTF-16. I've implemented a very
fast text scanner in C that interfaces with Oniguruma, and Rails is
used to provide a good frontend for it and handle the DB part.

Day job: Working on a _huge_ administrative application for HUMlab, a
computer lab for people from all disciplines (but with main focus on
the humanities). The app will manage/create user accounts, handle all
courses held in the lab (and follow-up surveys), handle reservations,
provide an interface for an SNMP-based print quota system (which i
wrote in Ruby, of course) and a lot of other stuff. The app basically
contains of three components: a Rails frontend, an AR-powered utility
that handles/creates accounts in OpenLDAP, and the print quota system
(also AR-powered).

The app is currently in alpha/planning stage, but will replace a less
maintainable CGI-based Ruby system I wrote a while ago. It's going to
be a _lot_ of work, but due to the efficiency of Rails I'm estimating
it to be much less cumbersome than maintaining and developing the old
app.

//samuel

________________________
Samuel Kvarnbrink

samuel.kvarnbrink-SiIintg/mUyhy6ZWzZ/+***@public.gmane.org
http://blog.humlab.umu.se/samuel/

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!],
Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,
will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to
apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
a question."
-- Charles Babbage
Robert Bousquet
2004-12-14 20:03:10 UTC
Robert Bousquet
Front-end developer at the University of Southern California
Currently re-skinning the USC Scholar's Portal front-end and working on
the USC Digital Archive
Daydreaming about building Rails apps instead.
Also running freelance gig, Debut Web Design.

/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /
R O B E R T B O U S Q U E T
Web Programming Consultant
Doheny Office of Technology Support
University of Southern California
bousquet-***@public.gmane.org
213.740.9080
Jens-Christian Fischer
2004-12-14 20:02:25 UTC
I'm Jens-Christian Fischer working at my company InVisible GmbH in Zurich,
Switzerland.
Our main line of business are intranet applications for large companies
(in Lotus Notes mainly)

I have 13+ years of Lotus Notes experience and always dabbled in languages
on the side (Pascal, Modula-2, Smalltalk, C (argh), C++ (AAARRRGGG), Java,
awk, Perl, Python and now Ruby

I have several other companies/projects (neural-network stock trading [1],
p2p email [2] and a semi-secret mud/mush inspired [3] rails project that I
hope to have live in the next few weeks.

[1] http://www.ivorix.com
[2] http://www.zappatanetworks.com
[3] http://amuda.ch
--
InVisible GmbH
Langgrütstrasse 172, 8047 Zürich
Tel: +41 1 401 09 30
Jeff Moss
2004-12-14 20:32:55 UTC
Jeff Moss
Sandy, Utah, USA (Salt Lake City suburbia)
Currently attending University of Utah for a bachelors in business
administration.
Day Job: work for a long distance reseller, www.americom.com, where I am
the only developer employed. Currently overhauling entire website to
move it out of the early 90's era, convinced boss to do it in rails, the
best framework that I've ever investigated, by a long shot. I believe I
have David to thank?
Previous experience has been Perl and PHP, and before that I messed
around in C/C++. In my free time I play with other languages and am one
of you who starts many projects and finishes few to none due to other
invasive interests, although my current project, an ebay tool that
interfaces with their xml web services, has actually come quite far and
appears to be finishable, assuming the demons don't take me first.
Tobias Luetke
2004-12-14 20:53:49 UTC
Tobias Lütke
Stranded German in Ottawa, Canada

Currently I'm doing contract and some consulting work as well as
several own commercial and private projects.
100% Of my payed work is done in Rails at this point, i'm one of the lucky few.
My best known project is probably http://www.snowdevil.ca , a
full-fledged e-commerce system
build on rails which hopefully hits its next milestone soon by selling
some bloody snowboards.

Apart from snowdevil i have been working on Hieraki a collaborative
book writing tool reusing proven concepts from wikis and tools like
them. Hieraki has been progressing well and will probably receive a
real announcement soon as it will be released under the MIT license.

My background is mainly static languages like c and c++ and
unfortunately some java as well.
After about 10 years of those you have seen it all...

Ruby rocks !

Tobi
Michel Rasschaert
2004-12-14 21:11:52 UTC
Hi,

Michel Rasschaert from Paris, France.

I learn the basics of a lot of programming languages as a hobby (too
many to write here) and I was very soon interested in Ruby. But it
really is rails that made me use it for real at last.

Professionally I work for a bank doing Delphi work and hopefully
migrating to Java and introducing some XP concepts (testing,
continuous integration, IoC, etc.) but it's hard.

In my spare time (not a lot regretfully) I work on a personal finance
application on rails :)

Maybe we could join force with Chris :)

Michel

Dan Peterson
2004-12-14 21:09:03 UTC
Hi, I'm Dan Peterson (danp in #rubyonrails) from Yuma, AZ. I work for
the Yuma Educational Consortium which is comprised of the local high
school district and one of the two elementary districts in the area as
well as other various entities.

I've been using Ruby for mainly procedural text-processing for about
four years now and I still do a lot of text data conversion and
manipulation with it every day. I'm blown away by Rails and how well
it all works together. I started out using it trying to write a new
accounts system with linkage to our two payroll systems. That was a
bit ambitious so I've put that on hold and am working on an app for
tracking patches to our Oracle-based student information system and am
having a lot of fun tinkering with it and especially trying out the
new features that will appear in 0.9.

I can't wait to implement more things for my customers with Rails;
both to help them and to let me have fun doing it! :)

-d.
Lon Baker
2004-12-14 22:36:49 UTC
Hello!

Name: Lon Baker
What: The Man at Speedymac LLC
Where: Raleigh, NC USA

Work: Primarily WebObjects (Java) development, e-mail systems and
XHTML/CSS design work.

Projects: Light CRM solutions for small businesses; Ordering systems
for real estate market and e-mail management tools.

I am currently convincing clients of the value of Rails and moving away
from the huge java frameworks that chew into the budgets and
development time. wee! :)

--
Cheers!
Lon Baker
Lucas Carlson
2004-12-14 22:49:42 UTC
I've been doing PHP development for 8 years but have just falled in
love with Rails. I am currently a senior Physics major attending Reed
College in Portland, Oregon.

Rails Projects:
----------------------
The Conjuring Cabaret - http://magic.rufy.com/
My first project was to port the first site I created (back in 1996) to
Rails from an ugly PHP/MySQL setup. The new version has 752 LOC and is
much more customizable.

Web Collaborator - http://webcollaborator.com/ (in progress)
Again a port, but this time from a homebrewed MVC PHP backend to Rails.
It has taken 8 hours to port 90% of the site to Rails compared to the
two months of scattered development it took for the original site to be
put together. Including libraries (like Smarty), the PHP version had 30
KLOCs. Including Rails code, the Rails version has 3 KLOCs (~600 lines
of non-Rails code). This has been a HUGE improvement and will vastly
speed up development time for this project. The Rails version should be
up before the new year.

PATA - http://pataweb.net/
I am in charge of revamping this site and have decided to do it with
Rails.

Reed College
I am going to be building various internal utility pages for Reed
College's web presence with Rails.
--------------------

-Lucas
http://www.rufy.com/
Sarah Wedde
2004-12-15 02:18:51 UTC
My name is Sarah Wedde and I live in Petone, New Zealand.

I'm currently trying to decrapify my weblog thingamy
(http://onebefore.org/), make myself an application that will totally
organise my life and fold my laundry, and I'm having a bit of a play around
with something to make use of the OpenSource Shakespeare database I
downloaded during a bout of procrastination.
Shyam Gopale
2004-12-15 04:48:47 UTC
My namie is Shyam Gopale and I live in Pune, India.

Currently using rails for developing a web based portal
for a friend. New to both Ruby and Rails. In my day job
I develop "Identity Management" products.

Shyam
--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it"
-- Alan Kay
Curt Sampson
2004-12-15 06:24:40 UTC
Ok, my intro:

Curt Sampson
CTO, tabemo.com
Tokyo, Japan

I'm building a (mostly mobile) website for time-based restaurant
discounts (e.g., better discounts when the restaurant is not busy).
Currently I'm battling my way out of PHP and MySQL hell, legacy of
a previous IT administration here.

Previously I was Chief Architect at vanten.com, where my main project
was an enterprise management system for a national wireless ISP in
Japan. That was Java on top of PostgreSQL, and while PostgreSQL can
compete with the best of them, it increased my frustrations with Java
to the point I started looking for a new language.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson <cjs-***@public.gmane.org> +81 90 7737 2974 http://www.NetBSD.org
Make up enjoying your city life...produced by BIC CAMERA
Jens Himmelreich
2004-12-15 08:45:44 UTC
Name: Jens Himmelreich
What: Working at hanke multimediahaus (www.hmmh.de),
Ruby/Rails voyeur
Where: Living in Bremen, Germany
Work: ecommerce-Websites (e.g. www.bonprix.de)
Magnus Bodin
2004-12-15 09:13:50 UTC
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions? That would also be a great first post, if you haven't
had a chance to contribute yet. The basics should include your name,
your organization, your country and city, and the project you're
currently working on.
Name: Magnus Bodin
Employer: IBM
Country, City: Sweden, Malmö

Current project: Private Web project, will be public 2005Q1

We are currently two rails-fans at the IBM-office in Malmö.
I hope that this will lead to something in the future.

-- magnus
Stefano Cobianchi
2004-12-15 09:13:52 UTC
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
Who's next?
Who: Stefano Cobianchi
Where: Milan, Italy
What: Using Ruby everywhere I can (currently it powers the server-side
of our email-marketing application); trying to promote Rails
as a replacement for our ugly home-brewed PHP frameworks (urgh)
Why: Well, given the choice among PHP, Java and Ruby, what would a
sane person do? :-)
--
Stefano Cobianchi <stefano-***@public.gmane.org>
Tomato Interactive - www.tomato.it
Erno Mononen
2004-12-15 10:53:28 UTC
Erno Mononen
Living in Jyväskylä, Finland

Developing sustainability management software using Java, new both
to Ruby and Rails. I've been experimenting with Rails for couple
weeks now and I have to say I'm really impressed by the productivity
boost that it offers. Looking for opportunities to use it in my daily
work.

Erno
Rogier Peters
2004-12-15 11:49:11 UTC
Just lurking on the list until now... but here's my intro

Who: Rogier Peters
Where: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Work: Freelance Java/XML/Cocoon consultant.
Play: No ruby projects yet. Dreaming of using ruby + rdf as information
framework

Rogier
Giovanni Intini
2004-12-15 16:27:08 UTC
I am Giovanni Intini, and I live in Modugno (BA), Italy (there's
another Italian here!)
I am an enterpreneur, running a (dying) construction business here in
the South of Italy that I inherited from my father (who died too
young).
The Rails project I'm working on is called "Intranet", pretty name, isn't it? ;)
It's basically a kind of central documentation repository for my
company. It will handle document generation and revisioning for lots
of different document types.
Álvaro Ortiz
2004-12-15 16:47:42 UTC
Hi,

My name is Álvaro Ortiz and I work for The Cocktail, a user experience
and interaction design consultancy in Spain working for the main spanish
companies (the national post, Telefonica, Terra...).

We have started recently to do some software projects, developments with
Drupal and PHP/MySQL, and have started trying Rails. So far, it seems
we'll stick to it to develop a multi-user blogging and personal media
manager server - or something like that :) You know, all that
blog/flickr/multimedia-aggregador/ kind of thing.

The main software developer, Fernando García is algo on this list and
has a strong Java/C++/PHP/RDF background.

We are in the stage of trying things and concepts and deciding what are
we exactly going to do, and we are looking forward to setting up our
project as free software, at the time we reach a sustainable financial
scheme.

ciao
álvaro

--

The Cocktail

wwww -> http://the-cocktail.com
blog -> http://furilo.com
ring -> +34 91 567 06 05
Lee O'Mara
2004-12-16 01:13:28 UTC
Hello, my name is Lee O'Mara and I'm a Ruby-nuby PHP refugee infatuated
with Rails.

I'm a freelance web generalist and I also teach at a vocational school[1]
A sometimes lurker on IRC(as leeo)
Live in Toronto, Canada

I'm currently developing a document management system for a small
financial company. Other than that, I suffer the maintenance of my a
PHP-CMS-monster of my own hand which I fantasize about converting to Rails.

[1] http://tiwi.ca

Lee
Sean Schulte
2004-12-16 08:19:41 UTC
Sean Schulte
Chicago, IL, US
Currently a CS major at the University of Chicago
Have worked with C, C++, Pascal, Java, Javascript, VB, VBScript, C#,
ASP&.NET, PHP, Perl, Python, XUL (amazing)

Side projects with Rails:
A movies database that helps me and my roommate keep track of our
hundreds of DVDs, how many times we've watched them, how much we like
them, and so on.
A kind of development blog / project management site that helps me and
my roommate work on our main project:

Main project, using Rails:
A Student Information System, to allow teachers and administrators of
a school track a student's attendance and grades and other information
over time, and enable easy scheduling and operation of the school's
day to day business. Using Ruby on Rails has made working on the
project very quick and easy.

Looking forward to:
Possibly finding a way to integrate Rails and XUL to make frontends
that act as full fledged applications and interface with the database
with the ease of Rails. (If anybody else is interested in this, drop
me a line.)
Josef Pospíšil
2004-12-16 14:28:59 UTC
Josef Pospisil, Prague, Czech

- fell in love with ruby and rails this year
- part work for Czech Agriculture University, where I'm also studying
doctoral and teaching object programing basics
- also trying to found software company with my friend to start using
rails also for day job

OT: I can see many europeans here, what about rails conference in
Prague next year? I think I can manage some backing by my university
:-).

--
Ing. Josef Pospisil
Who's next?
Marten Veldthuis
2004-12-16 14:48:08 UTC
OT: I can see many europeans here, what about rails conference in Prague
next year? I think I can manage some backing by my university :-).
I would definately try to attend something if held here in Europe.

OT: And David, how many more times do I need to bug you for a Building
of Basecamp Europe? ;-)
Marten Veldthuis
Chris McGrath
2004-12-16 15:07:30 UTC
Me too, been looking for an excuse to go to Prague again :)

Chris

Austin Moody
2004-12-16 15:53:33 UTC
I doubt I could talk my boss into a trip to Prague... but there seems
to be quite a few Rails people in the Southeast U.S. Maybe we could
drum some type of get together up?
John Wilger
2004-12-20 14:07:06 UTC
Post by Austin Moody
I doubt I could talk my boss into a trip to Prague... but there seems
to be quite a few Rails people in the Southeast U.S. Maybe we could
drum some type of get together up?
Well, I'm more Midwest than Southeast, but I'd still be interested in
making something like this happen. Anyone else?
--
Regards,
John Wilger

-----------
Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland
Curt Hibbs
2004-12-20 18:07:58 UTC
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:53:33 -0500, Austin Moody
Post by Austin Moody
I doubt I could talk my boss into a trip to Prague... but there seems
to be quite a few Rails people in the Southeast U.S. Maybe we could
drum some type of get together up?
Well, I'm more Midwest than Southeast, but I'd still be interested in
making something like this happen. Anyone else?
I'd be interested, too. I'm in the midwest also (St. Louis).

Curt
Scott Barron
2004-12-20 18:15:38 UTC
Post by Austin Moody
I doubt I could talk my boss into a trip to Prague... but there seems
to be quite a few Rails people in the Southeast U.S. Maybe we could
drum some type of get together up?
Well, I'm more Midwest than Southeast, but I'd still be interested in
making something like this happen. Anyone else?
I'd be interested, too. I'm in the midwest also (St. Louis).
Count me in for some midwest action (ohio here).

-Scott
Sean Schulte
Austin Moody

Jarkko Laine
2004-12-16 18:10:39 UTC
Post by Marten Veldthuis
Post by Josef Pospíšil
OT: I can see many europeans here, what about rails conference in
Prague next year? I think I can manage some backing by my university
:-).
I would definately try to attend something if held here in Europe.
Count me in, too :)
Post by Marten Veldthuis
OT: And David, how many more times do I need to bug you for a Building
of Basecamp Europe? ;-)
Heh, I already started bugging the 37signals 8-)
http://www.37signals.com/svn/archives/000971.php?7#comments

//jarkko
Post by Marten Veldthuis
--
Marten Veldthuis
Jarkko Laine
http://jlaine.net
Thijs van der Vossen
2004-12-16 18:48:53 UTC
Post by Marten Veldthuis
Post by Josef Pospíšil
OT: I can see many europeans here, what about rails conference in
Prague next year? I think I can manage some backing by my university
:-).
I would definately try to attend something if held here in Europe.
OT: And David, how many more times do I need to bug you for a Building
of Basecamp Europe? ;-)
Yes. Please. Pretty please?

Amsterdam would by a nice location by the way. I could probably arrange
a nice conference room close to the central station... ;-)

--
Fingertips - http://www.fngtps.com
Firefox - Take back the web - http://getfirefox.com
Giovanni Intini
2004-12-16 22:19:10 UTC
What about Rome? :)
Christoph Sturm
2004-12-16 18:16:05 UTC
hey!

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:37:19 +0100, David Heinemeier Hansson
Post by David Heinemeier Hansson
I'm seeing a lot of new names on the list. Could we perhaps do a round
of introductions?
Christoph Sturm,
living in vienna,
working on a b2b site in rails for a customer of mine.

rails rock on!
Sean Treadway
2004-12-16 20:26:07 UTC
Hi all,

Born 1974 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Raised in Seattle, USA.
Living in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Current work project is a Rails front end to an LDAP address book.
Current play project is porting an earlier Zope project
http://superchannel.org to Rails.

Professional history:

Software development test engineer for LDAP integration in Exchange
server 5.0 and 5.5
Software engineer at RealNetworks for streaming media proxy server and
integration with standard transport protocols.
Co-founder of streaming media community Superchannel with a Danish art
group Superflex
Freelance developer
Software engineer at Danish design company, Oncotype http://oncotype.dk

I like... learning, music/people/environment listening, traveling,
hiking, making, solving, communicating, culture and irony

Being a new kid on this block I'm still soaking it all up. But my gut
says I'll be sticking around for while. I'm glad to have found rails,
ruby and this great community included.

A European conference would be genius. Count me in.

-Sean Treadway
Vincent Foley
2004-12-20 00:56:22 UTC
Hi all!

Who: Vincent Foley-Bourgon
Where: St-Polycarpe, Quebec, Canada (not far from Montreal)
What: Computer technician in a public school system

My Rails projects:
* The todo list tutorial (which I need to update to 0.9.x)
* I'm also going to write a trouble ticket system in Rails that looks
a bit like HP's ServiceDesk.
--
Vincent Foley-Bourgon
Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/~gnuvince
World.run while (6 * 9 == 42)
ange
2004-12-21 12:28:37 UTC
hi every one

New to the mailing list, I've looked in the archives and found this
thread. So here is my intro :

Who : Thomas 'ange' Riboulet
Where : Paris, France
What : Ruby fan since I discovered it, one year and half ago, discovered
rails last week, seems great ! Using Ruby to do small scripts and some
websites with eruby.
Public projets : no ruby projects atm, done a lot (too much?) php
things. Got one big php project, wondering if I can redo it using Rails.
Rails project : doing a website brick to manage howtos, articles,
publications.

More : student, looking for a sys/net admin job.

European Conf : why not :)

ange